|Posted by The Fourth Wall on February 7, 2015 at 12:25 AM|
January is a fine time to reflect on the past year, especially when the weather provides some useful home-alone time. Looking back, we’ve had a rather epic year, marked by an array of accomplishments, including a move to Boston. (Lest you think we brought the full force of winter upon ourselves by moving to the northeast, it was this time last year that we were similarly penned in by dangerously cold conditions in Indiana. Winter is coming, and it has a way of finding us.)
Thank you to everyone who has been a part of our artistic journey so far! We hope you stick around. We’ve got big plans for 2015!
And now, we bring you the highlights of 2014.
- We won a competition! In June we were named First Place winners of the Savvy Musician in Action Chamber Ensemble Competition.
- Over the summer we performed at Fringe Festivals in Indianapolis, Rochester, and Houston. Our return to IndyFringe was greeted with rave reviews and overwhelming audience response. See you at IndyFringe this summer?
- In October, we spent 2 amazing weeks at Avaloch Farm Music Institute in New Hampshire. During our residency, we began staging Vassal of the Sun, collaborating with composer Stefanie Lubkowski, soprano Elisabeth Halliday, and a unique stage apparatus (we call it the Hamster Wheel) built by circus artist Phil Servita. Check out the early video footage:
- College touring included performances and workshops at The Eastman School of Music, Oberlin Conservatory of Music, the University of Louisville, and West Virginia University (where we are ensemble-in-residence for the International Flute Symposium).
- We appeared at the Mid-Atlantic Flute Fair and returned to the National Flute Association Convention (where we celebrated our 4th anniversary).
- We continued to perform on the roster of Arts for Learning in Indiana. In addition to our science and arts-integrated program “How Music Works – Vibration and Sound,” we began offering our signature program “Fruit Flies Like a Banana” for in-school performances.
- We were the subject of a wonderful article (followed by a rave review) at ClevelandClassical.com
- Our Facebook page surpassed 1000 likes in October. Thanks for the thumbs up, everyone!
- Performances in our new home base of Massachusetts included appearances at the Green Street Studios (Cambridge), Nave Gallery Music Series (Somerville), 1st Parish Church (Cohasset), El Sistema Somerville, Aeronaut Brewery (Somerville), and First Night Boston.
Happy New Year! Stay warm!